Ferrets' Challenge No.3
Friday 20 February 2004, 2100h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
To qualify, pilots must safely fly through ('barnstorm') any one of the several hangars at each checkpoint. Pilots who crash are disqualified.
Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in GV's or as attached observers. Please do NOT roll aircraft unless requested by the referee.
The first pilot to 'barnstorm' the final checkpoint at MAF68 is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment. However...
To qualify, pilots must land safely at MAF68, on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop.
Please stay on the runway for photo opportunities! The first-place finisher will receive:
- Login to the WBIII Practice & Dueling arena at 2100h ET, Friday 20 February 2004.
- Select Purple country and tune your radio to Purple country channel 104. Go to the tower at Purple MAF8 Romblon.
- Select any single-engine prop plane with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS!!! This includes drop tanks, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (2115h ET), get on the tarmac at MAF8, default runway one.
- Taxi a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is stopped.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and take off!
- From MAF8 Romblon, the race course runs through 4 checkpoints which must be flown in sequence:
(sadly anonymous on the map and hereby codenamed "Fred")
- LAF7 Masbate
- LAF30 Catubig
- LAF2 Jaro
- MAF68 the finish line
- One month WarBirds premium account, courtesy of iEN... value: $14-$24 US.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... value: priceless.
1st Place: -wcat-, 417 RCAF City Of Windsor, FW190D, 45m34s
2nd Place: andrew, The Menacing Ferrets, P51D, 46m38s
3rd Place: doones, The Menacing Ferrets, P51D, 46m40s
I'm telling you, the racing stripes help somehow. Screen caps, ACM film (acmcam08.pkr shows the big finish) and roster can be found here for a limited time:
An exciting race. Thirty pilots rolled. The eventual winner -Wcat- was first off the mark, but Rikoff's Dora soon gained a substantial lead which he maintained for the first two checkpoints, but he was forced to retire from the contest upon running out of fuel. At the finish, it was -Wcat-, Muzz-- and Twedge.
Unfortunately, Twedge smashed into the last hangar and Muzz-- broke his gear upon landing, leaving second and third place to Andrew and Doones' Mustangs and preventing a repeat of the all-Dora finish we had last time.
There were a couple of minor irregularities... Archi- fired his guns at a critical moment, but nothing came of it and he had the decency to promptly slam into a hangar. -Mano- (not to be confused with -Momo-) got a bit boisterous in his observer jet and interefered with Xaedor's hangar run, causing him to crash. No great harm done in this case (Xaedor was dead last, I believe) but next time no airborne observers allowed. Some of the GV observers were obstructing the referees' view, so we'll probably designate a "peanut gallery" next time. Live and learn, that's what I always say.
For his first place showing, -Wcat- is hereby awarded the soon-to-be-coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon. Also, he's got a free month of WarBirds premium coming to him, courtesy of iEN. Congrats!
Thanks to Referee Meteor and Spotter Pilot -Momo- for officiating, and thanks once again to SKYDVR for all of his help. See you all again in three months' time for version 4.0 of the Ferrets' Challenge!
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets