Ferrets' Challenge No.5
THE GRAND TOUR
Saturday 28 August 2004, 2100h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
To qualify at a checkpoint pilots must either:
- Login to the WBIII Practice & Dueling arena at 2100h ET, Saturday 28 August 2004.
- Select Red country and tune your radio to Red country channel 101. Go to the tower at Red FL13.
- Select ANY PROP-POWERED PLANE with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS! This includes guns, bombs, drop tanks, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (2115h ET), get on the tarmac at FL13, default runway one.
- Taxi a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is STOPPED.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and take off!
- From FL13, the race course runs through eight checkpoints which must be flown in sequence:
- FL17 (pass left)
- FL2 (barnstorm)
- FL1 (pass left)
- FL10 (barnstorm)
- FL8 (pass left)
- FL4 (barnstorm)
- FL12 (barnstorm)
- FL13 - the finish line (barnstorm)
Pilots who crash are disqualified. Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in GV's or as attached observers. Please do NOT roll aircraft unless requested by the referee.
Pilots may land (SAFELY: on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop) and replane/refuel at any friendly airfield on the route, AFTER having flown through the hangar at that field. Pilots must respawn on default runway one in the same aircraft type and model as before. Remember to change airfields - WB's always defaults to your last choice.
The first pilot to barnstorm the final checkpoint at FL13 is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment. However...
To qualify, pilots must land SAFELY at FL13, on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop.
Please stay on the runway for photo opportunities! The first-place finisher will receive:
- Safely fly through (BARNSTORM) any one of the three hangars at each FRIENDLY (Red) checkpoint, or
- Safely PASS THE TOWER ON THE LEFT at each HOSTILE (Green) checkpoint. This means you should see the control tower on your 3 o'clock as you pass.
- One month WarBirds account, courtesy of iEN... value: $24 USD. NOTE: Pilots who have won a free month within the last 60 days do not qualify for this prize.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... value: priceless.
1st Place: andrew, The Menacing Ferrets, P51D, 1h2m23s
2nd Place: muzz--, 417 RCAF City of Windsor, P51D, 1h4m5s
3rd Place: juice-, 352nd Fighter Group, P51D, 1h4m46s
Well, that was the best race yet if you ask me. Thirty-five pilots rolled hehehe cough and three finished, so I reckon it was a grueling enough race.
For his first-place finish, Andrew wins a free month of WB's courtesy of iEN, and of course the coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon and a fresh bucket of steam. Congrats!
Thanks to =troy= for flying the spotter jet, to SKYDVR for all his help, and to each and every one of you who participated. It was a real hoot. Look out for the next Ferrets' Challenge in three months' time!
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets