Ferrets' Challenge No.6
Friday 12 November 2004, 2100h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
To qualify at a checkpoint pilots must either:
- The race will be run on the 128-mile Malta map, not "Malta 256"
- Login to the WBIII Practice & Dueling arena at 2100h ET, Friday 12 November 2004.
- Select Green country and tune your radio to Green country channel 102. Go to the tower at Green FS2.
- Select ANY PROP-POWERED PLANE with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS! This includes guns, bombs, drop tanks, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (2115h ET), get on the tarmac at FS2, RUNWAY 2.
- Taxi a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is STOPPED.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and take off!
- From FS2, the race course runs through nine checkpoints which must be flown in sequence:
- T33 (pass left)
- FL3 (barnstorm)
- T17 (pass left)
- FL7 (barnstorm)
- FL9 (barnstorm)
- T15 (pass left)
- FL12 (barnstorm)
- T16 (pass left)
- FL3 - the finish line (barnstorm)
Pilots who crash or are shot down by AAA are disqualified. Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in GV's or as attached observers. Please do NOT roll aircraft unless requested by the referee.
Pilots may land (SAFELY: on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop) and replane/refuel at any friendly airfield on the route, AFTER having flown through the hangar at that field. Pilots must respawn on default runway one in the same aircraft type and model as before. Remember to change airfields - WB's always defaults to your last choice.
The first pilot to barnstorm the final checkpoint at FL3 is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment. However...
To qualify, pilots must land SAFELY at FL3, on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop.
Please stay on the runway for photo opportunities! The first-place finisher will receive:
- Safely fly through (BARNSTORM) any one of the three hangars at each FRIENDLY (Green) checkpoint, or
- Safely PASS THE TOWER ON THE LEFT at each HOSTILE (Gold) checkpoint. This means you should see the control tower on your 3 o'clock as you pass.
Take note that our friends at iEN have upped the ante this time: the second place pilot will receive a $10 USD account credit, and third showing wins a $5 USD account credit.
- One month free WarBirds account, courtesy of iEN... NOTE: Pilots who have won a free month within the last 60 days do not qualify for this prize.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... VALUE: priceless.
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTER-FRIENDLY PDF VERSION OF THE MAP
1st Place: -wcat-, 417 RCAF City of Windsor, FW190D, 50m20s
2nd Place: muzz--, 417 RCAF City of Windsor, FW190D, 50m27s
3rd Place: andrew, The Menacing Ferrets, FW190D, 51m20s
Thirty-five pilots rolled and eight managed to finish this time: slightly less deadly than last time, as advertised.
For his third all-time first-place finish, -Wcat- wins a free month of WB's courtesy of iEN, and of course the coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon and a fresh bucket of steam. Congrats! The magic number of wins for the soon-to-be-coveted medaille d'or is five... I never thought anyone would ever actually win five races, but -Wcat- is looking like a threat.
Thanks to Meteor for flying the spotter jet, to =Troy= for reffing, to SKYDVR for all his help, and to all you daring racers. Hope to see you all at the next Ferrets' Challenge in three months' time!
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets