Ferrets' Challenge No.7
STORM BIRD SHAKEDOWN
Friday 25 February 2005, 2100h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
- The race will be run on the new ETO map.
- Login to the WB2004 Practice & Dueling arena at 2100h ET, Friday 25 February 2005.
- Select Red country and tune your radio to Red country channel 101. Go to the tower at the "racetrack" in the southeast corner of the map, Red field RAC97.
- Select the Me262 A-1a jet fighter with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS! This includes guns, bombs, drop tanks, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (2115h ET), get on the tarmac at RAC97.
- Taxi a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is STOPPED.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and take off!
- From the spawn point, the first part of the race runs THREE COMPLETE LAPS, COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, around the mountain. YOU MAY NOT EXCEED 600 METERS (2000 FEET) ALTITUDE AT ANY TIME, i.e., you must stay down low in the canyon at all times.
- As soon as each pilot completes his third lap around the mountain, he climbs out of the canyon and goes cross-country, running through three checkpoints which must be flown in sequence:
- To qualify at a checkpoint pilots must safely fly through (BARNSTORM) any one of the many hangars at the field.
- Pilots who crash or are shot down by AAA are disqualified. Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in GV's or as attached observers. Please do NOT roll aircraft unless requested by the referee.
- Pilots may land (SAFELY: on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop) and replane/refuel at any friendly airfield on the route, AFTER having flown through the hangar at that field. Pilots must respawn on default runway one in the same aircraft type and model as before. Remember to change airfields - WB's always defaults to your last choice.
- The first pilot to barnstorm the final checkpoint at LAF91 is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment. However...
- To qualify, pilots must land SAFELY at LAF91, on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop.
- Please stay on the runway for photo opportunities! The first-place finisher will receive:
- One month free WarBirds account, courtesy of iEN... NOTE: Pilots who have won a free month within the last 60 days do not qualify for this prize.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... VALUE: priceless.
- The second place pilot will receive a $10 USD WB's account credit, while third showing merits a $5 USD credit.
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTER-FRIENDLY PDF VERSION OF THE MAP
1st Place: norron, BALLARD BROS FLYING CIRCUS, Me262, 54m30s
2nd Place: Did not finish
3rd Place: Did not finish
Thirty pilots rolled, but only one managed to finish this time: maybe too deadly a course, even by our standards. I was really afraid no-one was gonna finish - even landing those jet-powered pigs is a dangerous job. Still, as proof that anything can happen in these things, our winner was dead last after the racetrack segment - an amazing comeback.
For his first-place finish, Norron wins a free month of WB's courtesy of iEN, and of course the coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon and a fresh bucket of steam. Congrats!
Thanks to -Momo- for flying the spotter jet, to Meteor for reffing, to SKYDVR for all his help, and to all you speed demon air-racers. See you all at the next Ferrets' Challenge in the Spring! It'll be a Saturday next time, so I expect a bigger field of racers.
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets