Ferrets' Challenge No.8
Saturday 21 May 2005, 1900h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
- The race will be run on the new ETO map.
- Login to the WB2005 Practice & Dueling arena at 1900h ET, Saturday 21 February 2005. Note the new time, 7 PM Eastern.
- Select Red country and tune your radio to Red country channel 101. Go to the tower at Red field LAF26 Haamstede.
- Select any prop-driven plane with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS! This includes guns, bombs, drop tanks, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (1915h ET), get on the tarmac at LAF26, default runway 1.
- Taxi a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is STOPPED.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and take off! The race should take slightly more than one hour to complete.
- Pilots proceed from LAF26 through six checkpoints which must be flown in sequence:
- The bridge 7 miles north of CTY59 Essen (at 5,5,1,3)
- The bridge at CTY59 (at 5,4,7,9)
- The bridge 2 miles north of TAC43 Liege (at 4,4,1,2)
- Any hangar at LAF18 Roye Amy
- The bridge 16 miles south-southwest of SAF10 St-Valerie-en-Caux (at 0,2,8,5)
- The hangar at MAF99 Hawkinge (the finish line)
- To qualify at a checkpoint:
- If the checkpoint is a hangar, pilots must safely fly through (barnstorm) any one hangar at the field.
- If the checkpoint is a bridge, pilots must safely fly under the bridge.
- Pilots who crash or are shot down by AAA are disqualified. Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in GV's or as attached observers. Please do NOT roll aircraft unless requested by the referee.
- Fuel management will be important! Pilots may land (SAFELY: on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop) and replane/refuel at any friendly airfield on the route, AFTER having barnstormed or flown under the bridge at that checkpoint. Pilots must respawn on default runway one in the same aircraft type and model as before. Remember to change airfields - WB's always defaults to your last choice. To help the referees, PLEASE ANNOUNCE YOUR INTENTION TO REFUEL!
- The first pilot to barnstorm the final checkpoint at MAF99 Hawkinge is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment. However...
- To qualify, pilots must land SAFELY at MAF99, on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop.
- Please stay on the runway for photo opportunities! In addition to an all-expenses-paid trip to the bathroom and a big bucket of really fresh steam, the first-place finisher will receive:
- One month free WarBirds account, courtesy of iEN... NOTE: Pilots who have won a free month within the last 60 days do not qualify for this prize.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... VALUE: priceless.
- The second place pilot will receive a $10 USD WB's account credit, while third showing merits a $5 USD credit.
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTER-FRIENDLY PDF VERSION OF THE MAP
1st Place: drache, ‹‹PARROTS››, Ki84, 01h03m27s
2nd Place: pistol, The Flying Turtles, P51D, 01h03m35s
3rd Place: e-b-o-, ‹‹PARROTS››, Ki84, 01h03m35.5s
Thirty pilots rolled. The final results were very close, with the second- and third-place aircraft ending in a photo finish: they literally met inside the hangar.
For his first-place finish, Drache wins a free month of WB's courtesy of iEN, and of course the coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon and a fresh bucket of steam. Pistol and E‑b‑o‑ win ten and five-dollar account credits, respectively. Congrats!
Thanks to =York= for flying the spotter jet, to Cuckoo for reffing after his unfortunate demise, to SKYDVR for all his help, and to all you speed demon air-racers. See you all at the next Ferrets' Challenge in the Summer!
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets