Ferrets' Challenge No.9
Saturday 20 August 2005, 1900h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
- The race will be run on the 'Blitz' map.
- Login to the WB2005 Practice & Dueling arena at 1900h ET, Saturday 20 August 2005. Note the new time: 7 PM Eastern.
- Select Gold country and tune your radio to Gold country channel 103. Go to the tower at Gold field C15 London.
- Select any ground vehicle with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS! This includes guns, bombs, drop tanks, troops, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (1915h ET), get on the tarmac at C15, default spawn point one.
- Roll a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is STOPPED.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and roll! The race should take slightly less than one hour to complete.
- Pilots proceed from C15 through a dozen checkpoints which must be flown (or driven) in sequence:
- Drive through any hangar at F41 Hendon and park safely there
- Replane (default runway 1) at F41 in any ragwing airplane (Albatross, Bristol, Fokker, Sopwith, Spad) with any loadout
- Fly through any hangar at F42 Northholt
- Fly through any hangar at F17 Croydon and land safely there
- Replane (default runway 1) at F17 in any prop-driven airplane with any loadout
- Fly through any hangar at F2 Redhill
- Fly through any hangar at F14 Thorney Island and land safely there
- Replane (default runway 1) at F14 in the Me-262 jet with any loadout
- Fly through any hangar at F36 Middle Wallop
- Fly through any hangar (again) at F42 Northhold
- Land safely at f41 Hendon
- Re-roll in any ground vehicle with any loadout (default spawn point 1)
- Drive safely across the middle bridge at C15 London (the finish line, at 5.8.8 directly south of F41)
- To qualify at a checkpoint, pilots must safely fly or drive through (barnstorm) any one hangar at the field, or to safely cross the bridge to the south bank in the case of F15 London.
- Pilots who crash or are shot down by AAA are disqualified. Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in GV's or as attached observers. Please DO NOT ROLL AIRCRAFT unless requested by the referee.
- To replane, pilots must land SAFELY: on the runway, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop. Remember to change airfields - WB's always defaults to your last choice.
- The first pilot to safely cross the middle bridge at C15 London is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment.
- Please stay near the end of the bridge for photo opportunities! In addition to an all-expenses-paid trip to the bathroom and a big bucket of really fresh steam, the first-place finisher will receive:
- One month free WarBirds account, courtesy of iEN... NOTE: Pilots who have won a free month within the last 60 days do not qualify for this prize.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... VALUE: priceless.
- The second place pilot will receive a $10 USD WB's account credit, while third showing merits a $5 USD credit.
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTER-FRIENDLY PDF VERSION OF THE MAP
1st Place: drache, ‹‹PARROTS››, 47m51s
2nd Place: norron, BALLARD BROS FLYING CIRCUS, 53m30s
3rd Place: icepaq, 53m45s
Twenty pilots rolled this time. Certainly the most complicated course thus far, but safer than most owing to the oversized hangars at some fields. Congrats to Drache for his second consecutive win! Drache pretty much flew a perfect race, extending an early lead to almost six minutes' lead time by race's end.
For his first-place finish, Drache wins a free month of WB's courtesy of iEN, and of course the coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon and a fresh bucket of steam. Norron and Icepaq win ten and five-dollar account credits, respectively. Congrats!
Thanks to Lytnin for flying the spotter jet, to =York= for reffing, to SKYDVR for all his help, and to all you speed demon air-racers. See you all at the next Ferrets' Challenge in the Fall!
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets