Ferrets' Challenge No.12
THE GRAND TOUR II
Saturday 18 November 2006, 1830h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
To qualify at a checkpoint pilots must either:
- Login to the WB2006 Practice & Dueling arena at 1830h ET, Saturday 18 November 2006.
- Select Gold country and tune your radio to Gold country channel 103. Go to the tower at Gold FL13.
- Select ANY PROP-POWERED PLANE with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS! This includes guns, bombs, drop tanks, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (1845h ET), get on the tarmac at FL13, default runway one.
- Taxi a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is STOPPED.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and take off!
- From FL13, the race course runs through eight checkpoints which must be flown in sequence:
- FL17 (pass left)
- FL2 (barnstorm)
- FL1 (pass left)
- FL10 (barnstorm)
- FL8 (pass left)
- FL4 (barnstorm)
- FL12 (barnstorm)
- FL13 - the finish line (barnstorm)
Pilots who crash are disqualified. Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in GV's or as attached observers. Please do NOT roll aircraft unless requested by the referee. Observer GV's must not park on the approach lines to the hangars.
Pilots may land (SAFELY: on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop) and replane/refuel at any friendly airfield on the route, AFTER having flown through the hangar at that field. Pilots must respawn on default runway one in the same aircraft type and model as before. Remember to change airfields - WB's always defaults to your last choice.
The first pilot to barnstorm the final checkpoint at FL13 is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment. However...
To qualify, pilots must land SAFELY at FL13, on the tarmac, right-side up, at a full stop.
Please stay on the runway for photo opportunities! In addition to an all-expenses-paid trip to the bathroom and a big bucket of really fresh steam, the first-place finisher will receive:
- Safely fly through (BARNSTORM) any one of the three hangars at each FRIENDLY (Gold) checkpoint, or
- Safely PASS THE TOWER ON THE LEFT at each HOSTILE (Green) checkpoint. This means you should see the control tower on your 3 o'clock as you pass.
The second place pilot will receive a $10 USD WB's account credit, while third showing merits a $5 USD credit.
- One month free WarBirds account, courtesy of iEN... NOTE: Pilots who have won a free month within the last 60 days do not qualify for this prize.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... VALUE: priceless.
›› CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTER-FRIENDLY PDF VERSION OF THE MAP
1st Place: Drache of Parrots, J2M2, 57m51s
2nd Place: Chunky of VF-15 Fighting Aces, Ki84, 59m32s
3rd Place: -Ung-- of Greenwings, J2M3, 59m40s
Twenty-seven pilots rolled and six finished -- a much lower attrition rate than the last time we ran this particular course. -Punk- ran a heroic race with no rudder and crossed the line second, but suffered an unfortunate mishap on landing and was disqualified.
For his first-place finish, Drache wins a free month of WB's courtesy of iEN, and of course the coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon and a fresh bucket of steam. Congrats! That's back-to-back wins, and his fourth win overall! Drache is well on his way to the coveted Medaille d'Or.
Thanks to LtCol Humble for flying the spotter jet, to Capt Lytnin for reffing, to SKYDVR for all his help, and to each and every one of you who participated. It was a real hoot. Look out for the next Ferrets' Challenge tonight at 6:30 ET!
›› CLICK HERE FOR SCREEN CAPS
›› CLICK HERE FOR ACMCAM RECORDINGS
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets