Ferrets' Challenge No.15
NO TROUBLE ATOLL
Saturday 7 February 2009, 1830h ET
in the Practice & Dueling arena
- Login to the WarBirds Practice & Dueling arena at 1830h ET, Saturday 7 February 2009.
- Select Red country and tune your radio to Red country channel 101. Go to the tower at Red Field 32.
- Select any prop-driven fighter with the loadout of your choice. IT IS FORBIDDEN TO DISCHARGE YOUR WEAPONS AT ANY TIME! This includes guns, bombs, drop tanks, etc.
- At the referee's 15-minute warning (1845h ET), get on the tarmac at f32, default runway one.
- Taxi a few yards away from the spawn point so the referee can see your icon. Taunt your opponents.
- At the referee's one-minute warning, make sure your engine is STOPPED.
- Wait for the referee's 10-count and the signal to 'ROLL', at which moment the clock starts: you may start your engine and take off!
- From f32 (the start line) the race course runs through eight checkpoints which must be flown in sequence:
- f21 - barnstorm
- f24 - barnstorm
- f26 - barnstorm
- f29 - barnstorm
- f1 - split the stacks
- f12 - barnstorm
- f33 - barnstorm
- f32 - barnstorm - the finish line
- To qualify at a checkpoint, pilots must safely fly through ("barnstorm") any one hangar at the field. The exception is FIELD ONE: at f1 pilots must fly between the factory smokestacks ("split the stacks") to qualify. Be sure to fly low enough between the 'stacks that the referee doesn't have to guess whether you passed through as required or merely flew overhead.
- Pilots who crash are disqualified. Disqualified pilots and hangers-on are invited to observe in OPEL TRUCKS or as attached observers. Please do NOT roll aircraft (or anything with a gun) unless requested by the referee. Observer GV's must not park on the approach lines to the hangars.
- Pilots may land (SAFELY: on the tarmac, wheels down, engine off, at a full stop) and replane/refuel at any friendly airfield on the route, AFTER having flown through the hangar at that field. Pilots must respawn on default runway one in the same aircraft type and model as before. Remember to change airfields - WB's always defaults to your last choice.
- The first pilot to barnstorm the final checkpoint at f32 is the winner, and the clock stops at that moment. However...
- To qualify, pilots must land SAFELY at f32, on the runway, right-side up, at a full stop. Take your time--the clock has stopped!
- Please stay on the runway for photo opportunities! In addition to an all-expenses-paid trip to the bathroom and a big bucket of really fresh steam, the first-place finisher will receive:
- One month free WarBirds account, courtesy of iEN... NOTE: Pilots who have won a free month within the last 60 days do not qualify for this prize.
- The Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon, courtesy of the Menacing Ferrets... VALUE: priceless.
- The second place pilot will receive a $10 USD WB's account credit, while third showing merits a $5 USD credit.
1st Place: -Broz- of ~Jagdgeschwader 27~ Afrika, LA7, 34m23s
2nd Place: -Coil- of ~Jagdgeschwader 27~ Afrika, LA7, 34m29sec
3rd Place: Kimbo- of The Menacing Ferrets, LA7, 34m31s
Fifty-odd pilots rolled this time around. Fifty-one of them arrived at the first checkpoint, and the mayhem began. Thirteen pilots managed to complete the race. FC#15 was our best-attended and closest-run race to date, and in the end the victory went to Broz.
For his first-place finish, -Broz- wins a free month of WB's courtesy of iEN, and of course the coveted Ferrets' Challenge Blue Ribbon and a really fresh bucket of steam. Coil and Kimbo win ten and five-dollar account credits, respectively. Congrats!
Thanks to Wetcat for flying the spotter plane, to =Lytn= for reffing, to SKYDVR for all his help, and to all you speed-demon air-racers. See you all at the next Ferrets' Challenge in May 2009!
›› CLICK HERE FOR SCREEN CAPS
›› CLICK HERE FOR ACMCAM RECORDINGS
Love and hell,
Col. H.C. Rana
C/O The Menacing Ferrets